Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Printable Prodigal Son Book

I haven't been posting very much.  I've been contemplating what I want to do with this blog and possibly moving in a different direction.  For now, though I wanted to share a piece of a project I have been working on.

Over the summer at church we are taking a break from Children's Church so the children will be in the worship service with the adults throughout the entire time.  We are also combining our upper and lower elementary Sunday School classes to give teachers a break and because attendance is often low in the summer.  So I've been preparing some things to keep the kids occupied in service and also activities for the Sunday School hour.  We will be mostly using lessons from an older VBS by Word Action.  However, I wanted it all to connect for the kids; worship and the Sunday School lessons.  In order to accomplish that, I wanted them to be somewhat familiar with the story we would be working on.  So, I am putting the lessons in a simple, easy to read, printable book for them to look over themselves during worship (we have worship before Sunday School).  Here is the first one:


https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1skzerVh4QaY3Y4a3R4ZlJWZXM/edit

I kept the illustrations simple on purpose.  I want the kids to fill in the details with their minds/crayons as much as possible.  I want the word of God to communicate the feelings/emotions/actions/etc rather than interpreting that for the kids.  That is why the faces are blank.  Over illustrating can cause us to fill things into the story with our minds that are not actually in scripture and it may take years for children to realize that something is not part of a bible story.

You may use this in your classrooms, homes and churches however you see fit but I ask you that you not use this book in any way for profit.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment